Valentine's cake mix donuts are a festive and easy breakfast or dessert perfect for Valentine's day. Made with a cake mix, these donuts can be cooked in about 20 minutes.
Why you should try easy cake mix donuts
- Easy - Cake batter donuts are super simple and only need 5 ingredients to make them. Using a boxed caked mix really makes this recipe so easy.
- Variation - This recipe can be made with different cake mixes and frosting combinations.
- Fun - These are fun and easy, even the kids can help make them. Customize icing colors and sprinkles for your favorite holiday.
- Delicious - Both kids and adults are sure to love these delicious donuts. They make a tasty Valentine's treat, something yummy for the holiday season, or just to have around the house.
Ingredients needed for Valentines donuts
- Cake mix - You will need one box of Red Velvet cake mix.
- Egg - One egg is needed.
- Butter - Unsalted butter is used to mix in with the cake mix.
- Milk - Whole milk or 2% milk work great.
- Frosting - We are using a vanilla frosting but feel free to use your favorite flavor like chocolate or strawberry.
- Donut pan - You will need a donut pan to make these donuts.
How to make Valentines cake mix donuts
Step one: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a donut pan with non-stick cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, stir together cake mix, egg, melted butter, and milk.
Step two: Fill the greased donut pan with the donut batter. Fill about ⅔'s full.
Step three: Bake donuts for 12-14 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Carefully remove the donuts from the pan and cool on a wire cooling rack.
Step four: Place frosting in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds or until the frosting starts to become liquidy. Dip the tops of the donuts in the frosting and then place back on wire rack.
Step five: Top with sprinkles. Enjoy!
Recipe tips and variations for the best cake mix donuts
- You don't need an electric mixer for this recipe. You can mix the ingredients with a large whisk or spoon. Make sure not to overmix the batter.
- Try using a large piping bag or Ziploc bag to fill the donut pan with batter. Fill a piping bag with donut batter, snip off the end and fill the pans.
- This recipe can be made with a different flavor cake mixes. Don't like red velvet? Try vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, even funfetti cake mix.
- Add some extra chocolate flavor by mixing in ½ cup of mini chocolate chips to the batter.
How to store baked donuts
Store: Store the leftover donuts in an airtight container at room temperature. They will last 3-4 days.
Freeze: You can freeze the donuts, just make sure not to frost them. Store them in a freezer safe bag or container for up to 3 months.
Cake mix donut FAQ's
Donut batter and cake batter are very similar. Donut batter tends to be a little thicker.
Yes, cake mix is perfect to use for cake donuts.
More holiday recipes
Let me know if you try these donuts in the comments below.
Valentines Cake Mix Donuts
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup premade vanilla frosting like prepackaged Betty Crocker frosting in a container
- colored sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a donut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together cake mix, butter, egg, and milk until combined. Be sure not to overmix or they will become tough.
- Fill the donut pan ⅔ full with batter. You can use a spoon or put the batter in a piping bag and pipe the batter into each donut pan.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Carefully remove the donuts from the pan when finished baking. Let them cool on a wire rack.
- Place the frosting in a microwave safe bowl. Melt for 20-30 seconds or until it becomes liquidy.
- Once the donuts have cooled, dip the top half of the donut into the frosting and then place back on the cooling rack. Top with sprinkles.
Leave a Reply