Birthday cake cookies or Funfetti cake mix cookies, are made with a simple cake mix and topped with frosting. Perfect to serve at your next celebration, these birthday cookies are chewy, colorful, and delicious.
Easy birthday cake cookies
Add flavor and color to any birthday party with this birthday cake cookie recipe. Chewy, fun cookies made with a cake mix are filled with colorful sprinkles and topped with an easy buttercream frosting. Traditional birthday cake flavor wrapped up in a cookie!
Ingredients for funfetti cake mix cookies
Funfetti cake mix - One box of Funfetti cake mix. We used Pillsbury Funfetti Cake Mix. You can substitute with a white, yellow, or even strawberry cake mix.
Baking powder - This helps prevent the cookies from being flat.
Eggs - You will need 2 eggs for this recipe.
Butter - Unsalted butter is used for both the cake and the frosting.
Pure vanilla extract - Add a little warm flavor to the cookies.
Powdered sugar - Used to make the buttercream frosting.
Milk - 2% or whole milk will work.
Sprinkles - Rainbow Jimmies seem to work the best for these cookies. You could use single color or multi-color Jimmies to fit in with a color theme.
How to make birthday cake cookies recipe
Step one: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Step two: Combine cake mix, baking powder, and sprinkles using a whisk. In a separate bowl, stir together eggs, melted butter, and vanilla.
Step three: Carefully pour the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients. Stir until dough forms.
Step four: Using a large cookie scoop or spoon, scoop 2 tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball. Place 6 cookie dough balls on each large cookie sheet.
Step five: Bake for 10 minutes and then remove from oven and let cool.
Step six: Make the frosting. Using a mixer, mix together softened butter, vanilla extract and milk until creamy in a large bowl. Slowly stir in powdered sugar to make a frosting. Stir in a few drops of food coloring.
Step seven: Frost the top of the cooled, baked cookies and add extra rainbow sprinkles.
- For best results, having your eggs and frosting butter at room temperature helps them to bake up perfectly.
- Don't over bake. Bake time is approximately 10 minutes.
- Double the ingredients to make a larger batch of 24 cookies.
- Try using a piping tip and bag to easily swirl the frosting onthe cookies.
- These make large cookies. You can use 1 or 1 ½ tablespoons of dough to make smaller cookies.
Cake mix - You can substitute your cake mix with white, yellow, lemon, strawberry, even chocolate cake mix.
Sprinkles - I have found that Jimmies work the best. You can try substituting with other sprinkles like confetti sprinkles.
Mix-ins - You can add in ½ cup of white chocolate chips for extra texture and flavor. Also, you could replace vanilla extract with cake batter extract or almond extract for a slightly different flavor profile.
How to store funfetti cake cookies
Dough: Raw cookie dough can be stored covered or wrapped in plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. The dough can be frozen in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Cookies: Leftover funfetti cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days. They can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
More easy birthday desserts
Did you try these fun birthday cookies? Let me know in the comments and be sure to leave a star rating.
Birthday Cake Cookies
- 1 box funfetti cake mix
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons rainbow sprinkles
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2-3 drops red food coloring or other color food coloring
- rainbow sprinkles for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl with a whisk, combine the cake mix, baking powder, and sprinkles.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the dry cake mixture ingredients with the wet ingredients. Stir until dough forms.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of dough and roll to form a ball. Place 6 dough balls evenly spaced on each cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minute. Remove from the oven and cool.
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, beat the softened butter, vanilla extract, and milk until creamy.
- Add in powdered sugar and mix until combined. Add in a few drops of food coloring to achieve desired color.
- Spread the frosting on top of cooled cookies. Add extra sprinkles to the top.